The International Facility Management Association (IFMA) has launched the Building Information Models Lifecycle Operations Community of Practice (BIMLO COP) to bring Building Information Models (BIM) practice leaders together for educational content necessary IFMA members worldwide.
IFMA Chair, Marc S. Liciardello CFM, MBA, CM noted, “This is another critical step forward in advancing the sustainability of real property assets over their lifecycle. This tool will empower fms with more robust data and innovative business practices that will ultimately enhance building value and workplace performance. Increasingly, we are seeing government, including the US and European Union, require BIM utilization in public procurement. IFMA’s board of directors, on behalf of its membership, is committed to delivering the BIM to FM knowledge transfer of this important technology to the FM community with the manifestation of that commitment by the establishment of this community of practice.”
Building owners and facility managers benefit from BIM by being part of the early design process which can include energy modeling of HVAC and lighting systems resulting in lower operating expenses over the life of the building. Although complex, BIM is meant to be a collaborative process and impacts contracts, insurance, intellectual property rights as well as work performance.
BIMLO COP held its first meeting at the 2012 World Workplace Conference & Expo. During the first meeting, the group was scheduled to draft a strategic plan and elect its first Board of Directors
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management