IBM has announced multiple Smarter Planet projects with the City of Boston, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and Boston University aimed at exploring new solutions to urban challenges. These projects focus on using new technology to increase energy efficiency, enhance coordination of major events, reduce traffic congestion, and improve the maintenance of the streetscape. Across all of these initiatives, the partners plan to collaborate on the implementation and evaluation of this work.
“Boston has always been a smart city,” said Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. “These partnerships and projects, however, are the newest step in our exploration to address long-standing interests of our residents, such as improving traffic and greening our city.”
These pilots leverage IBM technology and will combine high volumes of data from sensors and databases (aka “Big Data”) with a layer of analytics software. This infrastructure will allow officials to visualize and manage operations more efficiently.
For instance, Boston maintains over 60,000 street lights, keeping residential streets and main thoroughfares appropriately lit. At any given time, roughly 3% of these lights are out, and bulbs need to be replaced or wiring needs to be fixed. With the IBM Maximo solution, Boston’s Public Works Department is piloting a new asset management platform to support street light operations. Based on the success of this pilot, the City of Boston may extend the asset management system to support additional operations in the City.
Supported by an IBM Smarter Cities Challenge grant in 2012, the City of Boston, Boston University, and IBM drafted a detailed set of recommendations about unlocking and analyzing transportation data in Boston. This work is expected to continue in 2013 with a series of data-oriented projects.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms