Dodge Momentum Index Takes February Jump
The Dodge Momentum Index rose 6.3% in February, according to McGraw-Hill Construction, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies. The Momentum Index is a monthly measure of the first (or initial) report for nonresidential building projects in planning, which have been shown to lead construction spending for nonresidential buildings by a full year.
February’s strong gain brought the index to 102.9 (2000=100), 23.4% higher than a year earlier. The increase was the third consecutive monthly gain and the first time the index has surpassed the 100 mark since 2010. In fact, the index is now at its highest level since April of 2010, suggesting that the recovery for nonresidential building may be finally gaining some traction.
February’s increase for the Momentum Index was due to an 11.9% surge in commercial projects; the institutional portion of the index remained mostly unchanged. The improvement in the commercial segment was driven primarily by robust gains for new office and store projects.
Some of the larger commercial projects entering the planning phase in February included a $150 million General Motors Data Center in Milford MI, the $110 million Gateway Plaza office building in Richmond VA and the $90 million Tower Two Office Building at North Hills in Raleigh NC. The largest project by far to boost the commercial component of the index was a $400 million tenant improvement project to finish the American Dream Mall in New Jersey. The sprawling complex near the Meadowlands has sat dormant since 2009, but Governor Chris Christie is pushing its new owners to quickly resume construction.
The Dodge Momentum Index
|Dodge Momentum Index||102.9||96.8||6.3%|
|Source: McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge|
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.