The EPA’s Energy Star Challenge for Industry has recognized Lehigh Hanson, Inc. for operations at its Mission Valley Rock plant in Sunol, CA. This is the first aggregates production site to achieve the Energy Star Challenge for Industry, with its energy intensity reduced by 12.2% within one year. This is equivalent to 28,987 mm Btus of annual source energy avoided and 817 MT of annual CO2e (equivalent) avoided.
The EPA estimates U.S. manufacturing industry is responsible for nearly 30% of greenhouse gas emissions in the nation and spends almost $100 billion annually on energy. Under the umbrella of the Energy Star Challenge for Industry, EPA is working with individual manufacturing sites and their parent companies to combat climate change through improvements in energy efficiency.
Lehigh Hanson’s Mission Valley Rock plant was able to reduce its energy intensity by taking a holistic approach to reducing energy consumption. Plant management, with support from personnel at the company’s technical competency center in Irving, TX, completed a comprehensive review of the major systems at the plant, including crushers, conveyors, pumps, screens, feeders, fans, heating, and air compressors.
Based on their findings, a number of energy related projects were planned and implemented. The projects included a mix of equipment installations, such as hot oil economizers and variable speed drives as well as process improvements and energy optimization strategies. The plant shifted certain production tasks to reduce loads at peak demand times and set monthly demand control targets.
“We are extremely proud of being the first aggregates production site to achieve the Energy Star Challenge for Industry,” said Tom Jackson, plant manager at the Mission Valley Rock facility. “By taking a good look at how and where we were consuming the most energy, we were able to develop and implement a comprehensive energy reduction plan that was realistic and attainable.”
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management