Last year was certainly an interesting year for intelligent building systems. Despite the stagnating new construction market, increasing numbers of existing buildings upgraded their systems to reduce the energy they consumed. Related to this, increasing numbers of existing buildings also gained energy certifications such as Energy Star or LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
IMS Research has recently released its annual intelligent building trends white paper. These predictions for 2013 and beyond serve to provide insight into key trends and opportunities in the intelligent buildings industry.
These trends include the following:
1. Cloud and Big Data meet: is this the perfect storm for building analytics? The market for building analytics is still in the very early stages of development. However, the coming together of cloud computing and big data could rapidly accelerate the use of building analytics in 2013.
2. Small but Perfectly Formed: small intelligent buildings. Historically larger buildings have been the cornerstone of the intelligent building market; however, 2013 could mark the turning point for intelligent solutions in smaller buildings.
3. App Store for Building Automation: the building automation industry focuses on end user experience. IMS Research predicts that improving the end user experience will be a priority for the building automation industry in 2013.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms