Constructing energy-efficient buildings favorably impacts the economic development of communities, meets consumer demand, and saves valuable resources. Week four of the International Code Council’s Building Safety Month 2013, sponsored by the American Gas Association, focuses on energy and green buildings. Efficient buildings can improve energy security, reduce stress on the power grid and on natural gas supplies, improve local air quality, and save money, according to the Alliance to Save Energy.
The earliest building codes addressed fire prevention, structural reliability, and other fundamental safety factors. Green practices in the construction industry are a next step in the evolution of safety codes—the guidelines cities and states use to ensure public safety in buildings.
While green is a popular topic today, safe and sustainable construction dates back at least 40 years to the 1973 energy crisis. Today, three major documents based on the most current building science available are used to construct sustainable buildings: the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), the International Green Construction Code (IgCC), and the National Green Building Standard ICC 700-2012.
A World Green Building Council report says green buildings have been shown to save money through reduced energy and water consumption and lower long-term operations and maintenance costs. The energy savings alone typically exceed any cost premiums associated with design and construction within a reasonable payback period.
A McGraw-Hill Construction survey says construction companies worldwide are shifting their business toward green building, with 51% of respondents saying they expect more than 60% of their work to be green by 2015.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades