Tricks Of The Trade: Temperature Complaints
By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the April 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWhat is the number one complaint you receive in your facilities concerning temperature comfort? How do you handle these?
Piedmont Service Group
AThis is the big kahuna of FM issues. Actually, I call this one a myth because it’s impossible to satisfy. I have taken numerous surveys on our campus, and time and time again 50% of occupants say “too cold” and 50% say “too hot.” What is one to do about such a dilemma? FM is the job of managing facility related expectations. Following is a simple strategy to discuss with leadership for implementation.
- Establish an agreed upon temperature parameter with a 2° swing of actual room temperature, not thermostat setting. For instance, aiming for a 74°F average means some areas may be 72°F while other areas may be 76°F.
- Using a data logger type device, measure areas for which you consistently receive complaints.
- If you cannot meet the agreed upon parameters with the built-in facility system, provide portable climate devices.
- Educate occupants on how their clothing and physical condition can affect comfort in the facility. For instance, layered clothing enables flexibility, and depending on one’s physical condition (illness, hot flashes, stress, etc.) one can be too cold one day and too hot the next, even when the temperature inside the facility is constant.
- If you cannot meet the parameters that are set with existing equipment, you may need to spend some money on your mechanical system to bring it in line with desired conditions.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices