Facility Management Program Addresses Sustainability
Across America in small towns and thriving cities, a similar issue is cropping up: aging buildings. While older buildings are often respected for their historical nature, there is often a need to update them for structural reasons, aesthetic purposes and even energy usage. In fact, right now The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) is underway to collect data on the structure, operational characteristics, and energy use of 12,000 buildings across the U.S. The data collected is only going to heighten the role of sustainability of buildings, both new and old, around the country.
With new window technology, energy efficiency options, water conservation choices, and more, entire cities can improve their sustainability with renovation. Ecotech Institute is launching its Facilities Management degree in June 2013, which will train professionals to tackle this issue.
The International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) helped develop the curriculum for Ecotech Institute’s Facility Management Technology degree program, which is an associate’s degree program that will focus on the operation, maintenance, analysis, auditing, and cost of energy management systems as they relate to the field of facility management. Students will receive instruction that is designed to prepare them to analyze, operate, and maintain mechanical and electrical systems.
According to Ecotech’s Clean Jobs Index, there have been 75,000 jobs posted in the U.S. related to facilities management so far in 2013. Ecotech Institute, based in Aurora, Colorado, now has more than 520 students who receive hands-on training in the growing field of sustainability.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices