Across America in small towns and thriving cities, a similar issue is cropping up: aging buildings. While older buildings are often respected for their historical nature, there is often a need to update them for structural reasons, aesthetic purposes and even energy usage. In fact, right now The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) is underway to collect data on the structure, operational characteristics, and energy use of 12,000 buildings across the U.S. The data collected is only going to heighten the role of sustainability of buildings, both new and old, around the country.
With new window technology, energy efficiency options, water conservation choices, and more, entire cities can improve their sustainability with renovation. Ecotech Institute is launching its Facilities Management degree in June 2013, which will train professionals to tackle this issue.
The International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) helped develop the curriculum for Ecotech Institute’s Facility Management Technology degree program, which is an associate’s degree program that will focus on the operation, maintenance, analysis, auditing, and cost of energy management systems as they relate to the field of facility management. Students will receive instruction that is designed to prepare them to analyze, operate, and maintain mechanical and electrical systems.
According to Ecotech’s Clean Jobs Index, there have been 75,000 jobs posted in the U.S. related to facilities management so far in 2013. Ecotech Institute, based in Aurora, Colorado, now has more than 520 students who receive hands-on training in the growing field of sustainability.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- ISEA Seeking Input For Revision Of High-Visibility Worker Apparel Standard