Across America in small towns and thriving cities, a similar issue is cropping up: aging buildings. While older buildings are often respected for their historical nature, there is often a need to update them for structural reasons, aesthetic purposes and even energy usage. In fact, right now The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) is underway to collect data on the structure, operational characteristics, and energy use of 12,000 buildings across the U.S. The data collected is only going to heighten the role of sustainability of buildings, both new and old, around the country.
With new window technology, energy efficiency options, water conservation choices, and more, entire cities can improve their sustainability with renovation. Ecotech Institute is launching its Facilities Management degree in June 2013, which will train professionals to tackle this issue.
The International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) helped develop the curriculum for Ecotech Institute’s Facility Management Technology degree program, which is an associate’s degree program that will focus on the operation, maintenance, analysis, auditing, and cost of energy management systems as they relate to the field of facility management. Students will receive instruction that is designed to prepare them to analyze, operate, and maintain mechanical and electrical systems.
According to Ecotech’s Clean Jobs Index, there have been 75,000 jobs posted in the U.S. related to facilities management so far in 2013. Ecotech Institute, based in Aurora, Colorado, now has more than 520 students who receive hands-on training in the growing field of sustainability.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?