With the end of each academic year comes a new wave of student pranks. FacilityBlog has posted about them before, but this is a new one. In fact, in Simi Valley, it’s an open and permanently shut case of senioritis at Royal High School. And officials don’t see it as a laughing matter.
To commemorate the conclusion of their stint at the school, two graduating students apparently used industrial strength glue on more than 100 doors while neglecting one minor detail; they didn’t bother to glue anything over the security cameras, which captured their antics and their identities on film.
Andrew Blankstein of the LA Times writes:
Faculty at Royal High School discovered the vandalism as they arrived on the campus around 6:30 a.m.
Nearly a dozen school employees feverishly worked to clean the industrial-strength glue from locks so students could get to their first-period classes, said Michael Clear, assistant superintendent of business and facilities for the Simi Valley Unified School District.
After squirting the glue into the locks, the pranksters also stuck pennies to the outside of the locks to make sure the liquid dried in place, Clear said.
Clear said a precise damage estimate was not immediately known because school and district officials were still trying to determine how many locks would have to be replaced.
“There are harmless pranks and then there are pranks like this which are very expensive to fix,” Clear said.
“With schools being challenged with budget cuts, these kinds of pranks are very costly at a time that schools can least afford it,” said Simi Valley police Lt. Stephanie Shannon. “With these potential charges, they were facing a permanent adult criminal record all for the sake of a prank. The amount of the damage and costs associated with the damage would normally reach felony-level vandalism.”
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Did You Miss “Facilities Management Challenges And Opportunities In 2016” Webinar?