EH&E’s Energy Optimization project at Good Samaritan Medical Center, a hospital in the Steward Health Care Network, has received top honors in the Best Practice Sustainable Building Operations by a Building Owner category at the International Facilities Management Association’s (IFMA) Boston Awards of Excellence ceremony. The award was presented to Steward Health Care on behalf of Good Samaritan based on “the team whose facility management program, project, system, innovation, or idea has had a substantial, positive effect on the success of their organization.”
The project goal was to reduce energy consumption by a minimum of 10% without installing expensive capital equipment. The program achieves energy savings through a careful analysis of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and hospital operations, and then optimizing the use and performance of the existing HVAC equipment and implementing low-cost improvements. It involved close collaboration between EH&E team members and Good Samaritan’s operations staff, and achieved a final savings of over 14% for the year.
“Hospitals represent one of the greatest users of energy in this country, and are also under intense pressure to reduce costs,” says John McCarthy, President and co-founder of EH&E, a Needham, MA-based environmental services consulting firm. “Steward Health Care understands the importance of finding innovative ways to reduce costs without affecting patient services, and this represents a significant step in that direction. We’re proud to be a partner in a project that simultaneously strengthens our healthcare system and our environment.”
This initial success is being applied to the 10 additional hospitals in the Steward System and is expected to lower energy costs by over $2 million annually.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention