Healthcare Project Receives IFMA Boston Award Of Excellence 2013
EH&E’s Energy Optimization project at Good Samaritan Medical Center, a hospital in the Steward Health Care Network, has received top honors in the Best Practice Sustainable Building Operations by a Building Owner category at the International Facilities Management Association’s (IFMA) Boston Awards of Excellence ceremony. The award was presented to Steward Health Care on behalf of Good Samaritan based on “the team whose facility management program, project, system, innovation, or idea has had a substantial, positive effect on the success of their organization.”
The project goal was to reduce energy consumption by a minimum of 10% without installing expensive capital equipment. The program achieves energy savings through a careful analysis of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and hospital operations, and then optimizing the use and performance of the existing HVAC equipment and implementing low-cost improvements. It involved close collaboration between EH&E team members and Good Samaritan’s operations staff, and achieved a final savings of over 14% for the year.
“Hospitals represent one of the greatest users of energy in this country, and are also under intense pressure to reduce costs,” says John McCarthy, President and co-founder of EH&E, a Needham, MA-based environmental services consulting firm. “Steward Health Care understands the importance of finding innovative ways to reduce costs without affecting patient services, and this represents a significant step in that direction. We’re proud to be a partner in a project that simultaneously strengthens our healthcare system and our environment.”
This initial success is being applied to the 10 additional hospitals in the Steward System and is expected to lower energy costs by over $2 million annually.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ