The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) WaterSense program has created WaterSense at Work: Best Management Practices for Commercial and Institutional Facilities—a compilation of best management practices to help commercial and institutional facilities better manage their water use through efficient practices and products.
Building owners and facility managers can significantly reduce their water use, energy requirements, and operating costs by understanding how to use water more efficiently in their facilities. America’s commercial and institutional facilities use 17% of the water provided by the nation’s public water supplies, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
WaterSense at Work addresses water use in educational facilities, offices, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, laboratories, and other organizations. The online resource includes in-depth sections covering:
- Water management planning
- Water use monitoring and education
- Sanitary fixtures and equipment
- Commercial kitchen equipment
- Outdoor water use
- Mechanical systems
- Laboratory and medical equipment
- Onsite alternative water sources
According to McGraw-Hill Construction’s Water Use in Buildings SmartMarket Report (2009), business benefits of water efficiency include reduced water use (15%), decreased energy use (10% to 11%), and reduced operating costs (11% to 12%). WaterSense at Work presents numerous tactics for businesses and organizations to achieve water, energy, and operational savings, as well as case studies on different types of facilities that have achieved savings by using water efficiently.
WaterSense, a partnership program sponsored by EPA, has helped consumers save 287 billion gallons of water and more than $4.7 billion in water and energy bills. For more information, visit www.epa.gov/watersense.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event