Posted by Heidi Schwartz
July 4, 2013 marks the reopening of the Statue of Liberty, which has been closed since Superstorm Sandy hit the region on October 29, 2012. However, Ellis Island requires more extensive repairs and will remain closed until further notice.
While the storm damaged much of the infrastructure on Liberty Island, where it stands, the statue itself, did not suffer storm-related damage. Its 126-year-old iron framework, designed by Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, withstood the hurricane’s battering.
The unanticipated site closure presented engineers with the opportunity to concentrate on a series of renovations that had been in the works since October 2011. One of these projects included including new stairway railings inside the monument’s pedestal. The railings, provided by Banker Wire, were designed to enhance the look and durability of the interior staircases.
The statue’s interior stairways feature wire mesh woven in a lock-crimp style which heightens their ability to provide fall protection to the monument’s 3.5 million anticipated annual visitors. The mesh matched the aesthetic standards of the national landmark through the attention to detail and customization options. The single most important detail in this installation was the repeatability of the mesh pattern which was specially created to ensure that repeatability.
This installation used bronze, giving it an unmistakable caramel color. Like the Statue itself, bronze mesh is composed of copper—with tin as an additive.
Other changes to the monument include new exterior granite staircases, renovated restrooms, new emergency elevators, and a new air-conditioning system. Tickets and reservations are now available through Statue Cruises, including limited tickets to the crown and pedestal.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- ISEA Seeking Input For Revision Of High-Visibility Worker Apparel Standard