FRIDAY FUNNY: You Forgot The WHAT?
Between the economic downturn and high unemployment numbers, the situation in Spain has been challenging, to say the least. But in the city of Benidorm, located on the coast between Malaga and Barcelona, the mood was optimistic. At least it was back in 2007, when construction began on Residencial In Tempo, a glass faced residential high rise—the country’s highest outside of Madrid—slated to open this year.
The original architects came up with the building’s unusual design to commemorate the terrorist attacks in Madrid on March 11, 2004. As a hopeful tribute to the future, the structure “looks like the number 11 and the letter M.” (Source: Wikipedia.)
Unfortunately, plans for greatness had to be significantly revised in 2008 when Spain’s economy took a nosedive. Initially scaled up from 20 stories to 75, the structure ended up with 47 stories. Somewhere along the way, the project became plagued with additional problems as well.
Jamie Condliffe of Gizmodo writes, “Initially funded by a bank called Caixa Galicia, the finances were recently taken over by Sareb—Spain’s so-called “bad bank”—when the mortgage was massively written down.”
But the financing was only part of the problem. Remember the decision to modify the number of floors from 20 to 75 and then to 47? Well, it turns out they should have stuck with the original 20. Or at least they should have been slightly smarter in terms of planning. Condliffe explains, “The original design obviously included specifications for an elevator big enough for a 20-storey building. In the process of scaling things up, however, nobody thought to redesign the elevator system—and, naturally, a 47-storey building requires more space for its lifts and motor equipment. Sadly, that space doesn’t exist.
“Perhaps unsurprisingly, the architects working on the project have resigned, and it remains unclear exactly how the developers will solve the problem.”
For those of you who read Condliffe’s original post, make sure to check the comments at the end of the article. They are quite funny.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ