Posted by Heidi Schwartz
GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA has donated renewable energy certificates (RECs) to the United States Tennis Association to match 100% of electricity consumption at the 2013 US Open. The tournament is held from August 26 through September 9 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in the New York City borough of Queens.
Each Green-e© Certified REC represents the environmental attributes of energy generated from a renewable source, such as solar or wind. The donation will displace the estimated annual greenhouse gas emissions by avoiding 529 tons of waste diverted from landfills, the carbon dioxide emissions from 158,195 gallons of gasoline, or the carbon sequestered annually by 1,157 acres of U.S. forest.
“We share in the USTA’s commitment of pursuing environmentally responsible operations and are honored to support the association once again in its efforts to ensure eco-friendly, sustainable electricity consumption,” said Sam Henry, President & CEO of GDF SUEZ Energy Resources. “This will not only offset the greenhouse gas emissions of this particular event, but it helps support the broader development of domestic sources of cleaner, renewable energy.”
“Thanks to the support of GDF SUEZ Energy Resources, we’re bringing more awareness of the importance of green energy to the fans and attendees of the US Open,” said Joseph Crowley, Senior Director of USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center Operations. “We’re doing our part to protect the planet while reinforcing our goal of making the tournament one of the most sustainable competitions in the world.”
The US Open grew out of one of the oldest tennis championships, the US National Championship. Since 1987, the US Open has been the fourth and final Grand Slam held annually, following the Australian Open, French Open, and Wimbledon. The United States Tennis Association is the national governing body for tennis in the United States.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- York Chiller Mobile App
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month