Latest AASHE Report Reveals Significant Growth In Campus Sustainability Staff Positions
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Campus sustainability staff positions are growing fast on campuses, according to the highly anticipated Salaries & Status of Sustainability Staff in Higher Education report from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). Sponsored by Aramark Higher Education, the publication outlines the 2012 results of AASHE’s biennial campus sustainability staffing survey.
Conducted since 2008, these reports shed light on the growing campus sustainability movement in the U.S. and Canada through the lens of personnel, providing information about the demographics, roles, salaries, and nature of positions of sustainability staff at colleges and universities.
Notable findings from the 2013 report include:
- Nearly half of all 2012 respondents were in positions created or upgraded since 2010, indicating significant growth for sustainability positions in the last two years.
- Sustainability offices are increasingly becoming the norm (rate of positions housed in such offices increased from 23% in 2010 to 67% in 2012).
- Full-time positions focused on sustainability are increasingly common (74% in 2010 to 85% in 2012).
Responses to the 2012 57-question survey were collected from individuals with both broad sustainability responsibilities and focused responsibilities in areas including recycling or energy management. In total, 462 completed surveys were included for analysis in the publication.
The 2012 survey captured, for the first time, institution-wide data that were provided by self-identified “point persons” for each institution.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.