IRN Provides 4.3 Million Pounds Of Surplus Furnishings To Charity
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Through the end of July 2013, IRN (The Recycling Network) has provided more than 4.3 million pounds of surplus furniture and equipment to charities in the United State and overseas. The nearly 60,000 pieces of surplus filled 328 tractor trailers, which were sent to charities in 11 countries in Asia and the Americas, and to seven U.S. states.
IRN works with schools, hospitals, and businesses throughout the U.S. to match excess furniture and other assets with nonprofit relief and development agencies. IRN’s mission is to assure that usable surplus is reused where it is desperately needed, rather than being discarded.
In 2013 through July, IRN has managed reuse projects for 85 different organizations in 20 states from Massachusetts to California. These include colleges and universities such as Rutgers, Georgetown, and the University of Notre Dame, corporations including Chevron, Siemens, and John Hancock, large healthcare organizations, and much smaller organizations like Deerfield Academy, The Fenn School, and local K-12 schools.
For all of these organizations, reuse provides a combination of social, environmental, and financial benefits. “This is a program with nothing but winners,” says Dr. Brenda Moeder, University of Central Missouri. “The University saves money, diverting material from landfill is a benefit to the environment, and most important, our furniture is provided where it will be used and appreciated for years to come.”
Dana Draper, IRN’s head of operations, has this to say about the program’s success. “More and more organizations are coming to understand that reuse isn’t just a feel-good thing,” he says. “Every organization has surplus that needs to disappear. Reuse turns surplus from a social and environmental liability into an asset and costs less than throwing it away. When that realization clicks, we get the call.”
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices