By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QDo facility management (FM) companies need special licensing to operate, aside from business license? A real estate brokers’ license is necessary if we directly handle lease administration, buying, and selling of property. Do we need this if planning to outsource this work initially?
Assistant Property Manager
Mountain States Properties
Johnson City, TN
A Today, a specific FM license is not required if the contracting facility manager (fm) is not directly performing services that a license is required for (e.g., plumbing, electrical, HVAC license, etc.) by the local building code office. If an fm is directly employed by a building owner, there are some liberties for location by location according to the local building codes office.
Aside from ensuring the FM company and employees have extensive experience specifically with your type of facility, a recommended degree would be architecture, engineering, or construction science. At the least, a contracting FM company should have a contractor/business license, proper liability insurance, workers comp on all of its employees, and auto insurance for all vehicles coming to your premises. Depending on the level of work performed, a review of their financial statements is also good due diligence.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention