By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QDo facility management (FM) companies need special licensing to operate, aside from business license? A real estate brokers’ license is necessary if we directly handle lease administration, buying, and selling of property. Do we need this if planning to outsource this work initially?
Assistant Property Manager
Mountain States Properties
Johnson City, TN
A Today, a specific FM license is not required if the contracting facility manager (fm) is not directly performing services that a license is required for (e.g., plumbing, electrical, HVAC license, etc.) by the local building code office. If an fm is directly employed by a building owner, there are some liberties for location by location according to the local building codes office.
Aside from ensuring the FM company and employees have extensive experience specifically with your type of facility, a recommended degree would be architecture, engineering, or construction science. At the least, a contracting FM company should have a contractor/business license, proper liability insurance, workers comp on all of its employees, and auto insurance for all vehicles coming to your premises. Depending on the level of work performed, a review of their financial statements is also good due diligence.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management