By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QDo facility management (FM) companies need special licensing to operate, aside from business license? A real estate brokers’ license is necessary if we directly handle lease administration, buying, and selling of property. Do we need this if planning to outsource this work initially?
Assistant Property Manager
Mountain States Properties
Johnson City, TN
A Today, a specific FM license is not required if the contracting facility manager (fm) is not directly performing services that a license is required for (e.g., plumbing, electrical, HVAC license, etc.) by the local building code office. If an fm is directly employed by a building owner, there are some liberties for location by location according to the local building codes office.
Aside from ensuring the FM company and employees have extensive experience specifically with your type of facility, a recommended degree would be architecture, engineering, or construction science. At the least, a contracting FM company should have a contractor/business license, proper liability insurance, workers comp on all of its employees, and auto insurance for all vehicles coming to your premises. Depending on the level of work performed, a review of their financial statements is also good due diligence.
You might like:
- Intelligent Restroom App from Kimberly-Clark Professional
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Handyclean™ Roll Wipes by Diamond Wipes
- Friday Funny: Park Pissoir Prompts Lawsuit
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Facility Management SOLUTIONS 2016
- Demilec Closed Cell Spray System Insulates Farm-To-Fork Restaurant
- Safety Zone™ Sheet by Armstrong
- Nova Scotia Community College Adopts SARA For Emergency Alerts
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Friday Funny: Sick Again? Don’t Try These Excuses
- Professional Development: Incremental Outsourcing