By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the September 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWe are dealing with constant maintenance issues in our distribution center concerning rack and equipment protection, specifically due to forklift damage. We use bollards to protect critical areas in the distribution center. However these bollards become damaged, and often the concrete is broken, which leads to a new maintenance problem.
Are there any better methods of protection from the overzealous forklift driver? We have used both surface mounted and cored versions of guard posts, but eventually even the floor gives way. Are there flexible products to use?
AA facility that does not move and heavy equipment that does move do not get along very well. All the bumpers in the world can’t stop everything.
In my humble opinion, you need more forklift operator training, discipline, and/or industrial engineering review. This kind of engineering review can look at your operation for efficiency and safe working practices. Still, placing bollards throughout the facility cannot prevent all damage from occurring.
As far as a product that can help mitigate damage, if you do an Internet search for flexible bollards, there are a number of items on the market that might fit your needs.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices