Throughout parts of Canada, businesses and public facilities are grabbing onto an idea that has been knocking around for years. Instead of paint or wallpaper, facility managers are incorporating living plants into walls with the help of Green over Grey. The Vancouver, BC-based design firm uses an artistic approach to “paint” with plants and transform grey to green.
From the company’s website:
Living walls or green walls are self sufficient vertical gardens that are attached to the exterior or interior of a building. They differ from green façades (e.g. ivy walls) in that the plants root in a structural support which is fastened to the wall itself. The plants receive water and nutrients from within the vertical support instead of from the ground.
These systems consist of a frame, waterproof panels, an automatic irrigation system, special materials, lights when needed, and of course plants. The frame is built in front of a pre existing wall and attached at various points; there is no damage done to the building.
Clients have included the Edmonton International Airport (featured in picture), Microsoft, lululemon, SAP, ING, and various restaurants and hotels in and around the Pacific Northwest–known for grey skies and green scenery.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention