Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Akridge, a Washington, DC-based real estate investor, developer, and operator, announced that the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) property was recertified as a LEED® for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance Platinum building. The property, developed and managed by Akridge, originally earned LEED for Existing Buildings: O&M Gold certification on June 1, 2009, making it the first building in Washington, DC to do so. The AAAS building is one of only 11 buildings worldwide to achieve this designation.
In addition, the property, designed by Pei Cobb Freed & Associates, leverages multiple applications of innovative green technology. It is renowned for its use of light harvesting as one of the only buildings in the Washington area with light shelves that reflect natural light into perimeter offices.
Michele Good, Akridge’s Director of Sustainability, commented on the Platinum recertification of AAAS and the firm’s environmental agenda for 2014 stating, “We are thrilled to have partners like AAAS that recognize the value of sustainable building practices and share the belief that a green building is only as sustainable as its day to day operations.”
This recertification, and the increase from Gold to Platinum, is a validation of AAAS and Akridge’s long- term efforts to operate a building effectively and efficiently over the life of a building.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention