Posted by Heidi Schwartz
No, this isn’t a story about what to do after over indulging at the annual holiday party. It’s a real story about something that’s actually quite cool—instructional carpet!
Royal Philips and Desso have announced a partnership that could entirely transform wayfinding, courtesy of a new flooring solution that combines LED lighting with light transmissive carpet. The product could very well change the way people interact with information and their environment in offices, hotels, conference centers, and other public spaces.
“This light transmissive carpet solution is designed to engage directly with people’s senses and the eyes’ natural inclination to seek out light. The technology takes advantage of people’s tendency to be guided by the floor when moving through and interacting with space,” said Ed Huibers, marketing and sales director at Philips Lighting.
Desso CEO Alexander Collot d’Escury adds: “Our vision is to create innovative flooring solutions that contribute to people’s health and well being. This new solution, developed with our partner Philips, meets this need and offers exciting ways to enhance the interaction between the interior space and its users.”
These LED light emitting carpets will provide many benefits in the areas of information, direction, and safety, most notably by guiding people around buildings to safety exits and emergency routes. The solution is designed for high traffic areas and comes in different colors, shapes, and sizes, which will make the new technology highly flexible.
The product name will be revealed in 2014 as part of the full launch, but Philips and Desso are already working on pilot projects in key markets.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management