Posted by Heidi Schwartz
No, this isn’t a story about what to do after over indulging at the annual holiday party. It’s a real story about something that’s actually quite cool—instructional carpet!
Royal Philips and Desso have announced a partnership that could entirely transform wayfinding, courtesy of a new flooring solution that combines LED lighting with light transmissive carpet. The product could very well change the way people interact with information and their environment in offices, hotels, conference centers, and other public spaces.
“This light transmissive carpet solution is designed to engage directly with people’s senses and the eyes’ natural inclination to seek out light. The technology takes advantage of people’s tendency to be guided by the floor when moving through and interacting with space,” said Ed Huibers, marketing and sales director at Philips Lighting.
Desso CEO Alexander Collot d’Escury adds: “Our vision is to create innovative flooring solutions that contribute to people’s health and well being. This new solution, developed with our partner Philips, meets this need and offers exciting ways to enhance the interaction between the interior space and its users.”
These LED light emitting carpets will provide many benefits in the areas of information, direction, and safety, most notably by guiding people around buildings to safety exits and emergency routes. The solution is designed for high traffic areas and comes in different colors, shapes, and sizes, which will make the new technology highly flexible.
The product name will be revealed in 2014 as part of the full launch, but Philips and Desso are already working on pilot projects in key markets.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts