Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Originally published on 12/9/11, this story is part of FacilityBlog’s Throwback Thursday offering.
For more than two decades, BNA’s Year-End Holiday Practices Survey has offered an annual snapshot of companies’ plans for marking the year’s end and recognizing employees’ contributions at the year end office party. And while celebrations may be on the upswing, another survey indicates employees are in the “thanks, but no thanks” mindset regarding these festivities—they’d rather see the money go towards tangible gestures, like time off, gift cards, or cash, plain and simple.
For those organizations set on throwing parties, there’s this advice to employees from Nathan Jamail, author of The Playbook Series:
- Use the two drink maximum rule ( if you have low tolerance, then soda is probably a much smarter choice);
- Remember no matter your surroundings, you are still at work;
- Don’t be the last one at the bar, because you probably broke the first and second rules;
- Have fun; and
- Make sure someone else is “That guy or girl!”
Unfortunately, you can bet many employees will be faced with that famous question the next morning—“Hey did you see that guy or girl last night at the company event?” That question can elicit many answers such as, “Oh yeah, everybody did when he got on the microphone and slurred profanity for everybody to hear. Or, “Did you see that girl? She drank so much; she was saying all kinds of inappropriate things to her boss.”
It is possible to enjoy the office holiday party without having regrets the next day. And in this tough employment climate, who really wants to spend January searching for a new job?
You might like:
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Intelligent Restroom App from Kimberly-Clark Professional
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Nova Scotia Community College Adopts SARA For Emergency Alerts