Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Originally published on 11/26/08, this story is part of FacilityBlog’s Throwback Thursday offering. There is currently no news of a 2014 Charmin restroom Time Square location.
If you’ve ever walked around Times Square in New York City during the holidays, you’ll know that what’s really weird is that it’s often difficult to find a clean restroom. In 2010, Charmin placed 20 deluxe stalls in the heart of this tourist area to make it a little easier for New Yorkers and visitors alike.
The company stepped it up by adding tuxedo-clad attendants and flat screen televisions. There was also a second-floor Duracell “Power Lodge” where visitors could recharge their portable electronic devices.
The Charmin Restrooms were open through the end of the year (except for Christmas Day) and closed up shop at 2am on New Year’s Day–two hours after the New Year’s Eve revelers watched the famed New Year’s Eve Ball drop.
Visitors could even commemorate their visit to the Charmin Restrooms by having their picture taken. While I’m not sure if this is really the type of venue many people would want to have their photos taken at, the company was offering free downloads of the photos at its Web site. Regardless, it was great publicity for Charmin AND Duracell. It’s too bad the companies have discontinued the tradition during these difficult times.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades