Posted by Heidi Schwartz
This week’s question comes from the Ask The Expert page on the Today’s Facility Manager’s website.
I have a long history of working in the trades although I don’t hold any licenses. I worked through college as an electrician, roofer, plumber etc…. I have a degree in international business. I was the owner of a home inspection company for 10 years.
For the last five years, I have been a facility manager for a 163,000 square foot facility in Miami. I am a staff of one and sometimes I have a helper. I am involved in the lease negotiations of our fleet of tractors, I purchase the trailers, I have installed a 200 kw generator, and I hire and deal with all vendors. I oversee parking, security cameras, access etc…. you get the picture.
I wanted your opinion on furthering my credentials. As I look around, I see that there doesn’t seem to be a set standard or accepted path to achieve this accreditation. I have been speaking with IFMA about their “Certified Facility Manager.” What is your opinion about them? Could you recommend a different organization?
I would value your opinion in this matter. What is my best path for accreditation that will be valued in the open market place that would further my career?
Share your feedback and suggestions in the LEAVE A COMMENT section below.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management