Posted by Heidi Schwartz
This week’s question comes from the Ask The Expert page on the Today’s Facility Manager’s website.
I have a long history of working in the trades although I don’t hold any licenses. I worked through college as an electrician, roofer, plumber etc…. I have a degree in international business. I was the owner of a home inspection company for 10 years.
For the last five years, I have been a facility manager for a 163,000 square foot facility in Miami. I am a staff of one and sometimes I have a helper. I am involved in the lease negotiations of our fleet of tractors, I purchase the trailers, I have installed a 200 kw generator, and I hire and deal with all vendors. I oversee parking, security cameras, access etc…. you get the picture.
I wanted your opinion on furthering my credentials. As I look around, I see that there doesn’t seem to be a set standard or accepted path to achieve this accreditation. I have been speaking with IFMA about their “Certified Facility Manager.” What is your opinion about them? Could you recommend a different organization?
I would value your opinion in this matter. What is my best path for accreditation that will be valued in the open market place that would further my career?
Share your feedback and suggestions in the LEAVE A COMMENT section below.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?