THROWBACK THURSDAY: Monk-E-Mail
Originally published on July 25, 2008, this story is part of FacilityBlog’s Throwback Thursday offering.
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Back in 2005, CareerBuilder took the Super Bowl advertising air waves by storm with its chimp-themed campaign. All three of the ads that appeared during the Super Bowl earned a spot on the Top 10 list in USA TODAY‘s Ad Meter. In addition, one spot was named “Funniest Commercial of the Year” in TBS’s annual poll and was included in CBS’s “The Forty Greatest Super Bowl Commercials” special.
On the heels of that success, and just before the 2006 Super Bowl, CareerBuilder launched a free service, cleverly called Monk-e-mail. The e-mail marketing site MonkeyBrains explains, “you get to choose a chimp, dress him up, pick a voice, then make him say anything you want. Then, you can e-mail it to your friends.”
That year, Monk-e-Mail became one of the most successful viral campaigns around, with more than 80 million played and 12 million unique visitors. After a five-year hiatus, the chimpanzees were back at work at Yeknom Industries (monkey spelled backwards) in a 2011 Super Bowl ad campaign, creating chaos and high jinks for the only human employee in the firm.
Sadly, the chimps are missing from the 2014 Super Bowl ad lineup, but fortunately, Monk-e-mail is still going strong. Send someone you know a chimp powered message to celebrate the Super Bowl!
Other posts by Heidi Schwartz
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- FM Alert: Is Your Facility Ready For Winter Weather?
- Resilient Facilities: Strong And Sustainable
- Did You Miss The “What You Haven’t Heard About LED Upgrades – But Should!” Webinar?