THROWBACK THURSDAY: Monk-E-Mail
Originally published on July 25, 2008, this story is part of FacilityBlog’s Throwback Thursday offering.
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Back in 2005, CareerBuilder took the Super Bowl advertising air waves by storm with its chimp-themed campaign. All three of the ads that appeared during the Super Bowl earned a spot on the Top 10 list in USA TODAY‘s Ad Meter. In addition, one spot was named “Funniest Commercial of the Year” in TBS’s annual poll and was included in CBS’s “The Forty Greatest Super Bowl Commercials” special.
On the heels of that success, and just before the 2006 Super Bowl, CareerBuilder launched a free service, cleverly called Monk-e-mail. The e-mail marketing site MonkeyBrains explains, “you get to choose a chimp, dress him up, pick a voice, then make him say anything you want. Then, you can e-mail it to your friends.”
That year, Monk-e-Mail became one of the most successful viral campaigns around, with more than 80 million played and 12 million unique visitors. After a five-year hiatus, the chimpanzees were back at work at Yeknom Industries (monkey spelled backwards) in a 2011 Super Bowl ad campaign, creating chaos and high jinks for the only human employee in the firm.
Sadly, the chimps are missing from the 2014 Super Bowl ad lineup, but fortunately, Monk-e-mail is still going strong. Send someone you know a chimp powered message to celebrate the Super Bowl!
Other posts by Heidi Schwartz
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.