Posted on: January 30th, 2014
Originally published on July 25, 2008, this story is part of FacilityBlog’s Throwback Thursday offering.
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Back in 2005, CareerBuilder took the Super Bowl advertising air waves by storm with its chimp-themed campaign. All three of the ads that appeared during the Super Bowl earned a spot on the Top 10 list in USA TODAY‘s Ad Meter. In addition, one spot was named “Funniest Commercial of the Year” in TBS’s annual poll and was included in CBS’s “The Forty Greatest Super Bowl Commercials” special.
On the heels of that success, and just before the 2006 Super Bowl, CareerBuilder launched a free service, cleverly called Monk-e-mail. The e-mail marketing site MonkeyBrains explains, “you get to choose a chimp, dress him up, pick a voice, then make him say anything you want. Then, you can e-mail it to your friends.”
That year, Monk-e-Mail became one of the most successful viral campaigns around, with more than 80 million played and 12 million unique visitors. After a five-year hiatus, the chimpanzees were back at work at Yeknom Industries (monkey spelled backwards) in a 2011 Super Bowl ad campaign, creating chaos and high jinks for the only human employee in the firm.
Sadly, the chimps are missing from the 2014 Super Bowl ad lineup, but fortunately, Monk-e-mail is still going strong. Send someone you know a chimp powered message to celebrate the Super Bowl!
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
Other posts by Heidi Schwartz
THROWBACK THURSDAY: Monk-E-Mail
Since Monk-e-Mail first launched in January of 2006, more than 50 million visitors have experienced what AdAge called the “third greatest human achievement, after only democracy and velcro.”
THROWBACK THURSDAY: Monk-E-Mail was published on at and updated at .