By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the November 2013 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWhat is the best or most effective energy efficiency recommendation you can make for facility managers?
San Francisco, CA
AThis is not something that can be answered in one part because there are three primary functions: consumption, efficiency, and unit cost. However, I can say the most effective way to begin is with consumption; if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it. There are ways to measure electricity use in 15 minute snapshots, but the data is quite vast and difficult to manage. This is useful to highly skilled energy managers and/or energy consultants.
A monthly basis is the easiest way to start with all utilities—and the numbers are served to you every month via your bill. Simply record the consumption reported on the bill into a spreadsheet. It will require a minimum of three years for the information to become fully meaningful and useful. If you can find a way to record this information three years back, that is the most effective, immediate start. Once you have a good handle on this, you can begin to see the cause and effect on system changes with less guesswork.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?