By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the January/February 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWe are trying to determine the national fire extinguisher code requirements for vacant buildings, and I have been getting a variety of answers. If we have a vacant property with no combustible materials, are our clients required by code to keep fire extinguishers up to date? There have been cases of people breaking into properties and spraying the extinguishers. In a recent case there were extinguishers left outside, and they used the extinguishers to break into a door.
Assistant Facilities Manager
AThanks for your question. Due to fire safety being governed at the local fire marshal and building inspections office and according to their interpretation, I’m not going to quote or interpret fire code. The best way to find an answer on this matter is to contact these offices. However, I can tell you of three major issues that officials think about with fire safety and vacant buildings:
- Are all utilities disconnected?
- Will anyone be in the building who might need a fire extinguisher (e.g., plumbers welding with fire, electricians pulling and testing electrical circuits, etc.)?
- Is there anything that is unsafe to fire and rescue people should they be called to the facility to service something?
In most cases, if all utilities are disconnected, if the facility can be secured reliably, and no one is to enter the facility without being authorized and instructed to bring a fire extinguisher with them (by posting signs on the doors), then you may not be required to keep fire safety components active and up to date. Nevertheless, you are required to report this to the local city building inspections and local fire department.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention