Grassroots design advocacy organization Be Original Americas launched its official membership drive on March 14, 2014. Founded in 2012 to champion original design in the face of a burgeoning global market for counterfeit goods, the group’s charter members include Alessi, Artek, Bernhardt Design, Cassina/Poltrona Frau/Cappellini, Emeco, Flos, Fritz Hansen, Herman Miller, Ligne Roset, and Vitra.
According to the International Chamber of Commerce, 2.5 million jobs have been lost due to the proliferation of fake products in the global marketplace. The projected annual value of counterfeit goods is estimated to reach over $1.7 trillion1 by 2015—an alarming increase from an estimated $650 billion market value in 2008.
Recent lawsuits have made positive steps in fighting intellectual property violations, setting design-industry standards to stop trademark infringement. As its membership grows, Be Original Americas will continue its mission to educate the community about authentic, original design.
Companies, individuals, and arts and educational institutions are encouraged to join the movement to inform, educate, and influence the public on the value of original design. Members are invited on three levels: members, affiliates, and individuals. Supporters may submit information via the organization’s web site.
1 CNN Money.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Site Security: Background Checks
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs