Grassroots design advocacy organization Be Original Americas launched its official membership drive on March 14, 2014. Founded in 2012 to champion original design in the face of a burgeoning global market for counterfeit goods, the group’s charter members include Alessi, Artek, Bernhardt Design, Cassina/Poltrona Frau/Cappellini, Emeco, Flos, Fritz Hansen, Herman Miller, Ligne Roset, and Vitra.
According to the International Chamber of Commerce, 2.5 million jobs have been lost due to the proliferation of fake products in the global marketplace. The projected annual value of counterfeit goods is estimated to reach over $1.7 trillion1 by 2015—an alarming increase from an estimated $650 billion market value in 2008.
Recent lawsuits have made positive steps in fighting intellectual property violations, setting design-industry standards to stop trademark infringement. As its membership grows, Be Original Americas will continue its mission to educate the community about authentic, original design.
Companies, individuals, and arts and educational institutions are encouraged to join the movement to inform, educate, and influence the public on the value of original design. Members are invited on three levels: members, affiliates, and individuals. Supporters may submit information via the organization’s web site.
1 CNN Money.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- DCIM For Facility Management
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- York Chiller Mobile App