By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the January/February 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I have a long history of working in the trades although I don’t hold any licenses. I worked through college as an electrician, roofer, and plumber. I have a degree in international business. I was the owner of a home inspection company for 10 years, and for the past five years I have been a facility manager for a 163,000 square foot facility in Miami. I am a staff of one and sometimes have a helper. My responsibilities are diverse, and I hire and deal with all vendors. I am involved in the lease negotiations of our fleet of tractors, and I purchase our trailers. I oversee parking, security cameras, access control, etc.
I would like your opinion on furthering my credentials. As I research my options, there doesn’t seem to be a set standard or accepted path to achieve accreditation. I have been speaking with IFMA about their Certified Facility Manager (CFM) credential. What is your opinion on this? Could you recommend a different organization?
I would value your opinion in this matter. What is my best path for accreditation that will be valued in the open marketplace to further my career?
A Hi Gary, thanks for writing! I am asked this question a lot, and this is an area on which I have spent a lot of time. In fact, I served on the credentialing board and was a subject matter expert for question writing for a certification group.
Following are links to recent articles I have written on the matter in this column. The first is from the August 2013 issue of TFM. Another appeared in the TFM April 2013 issue. Finally, my column in the September 2013 issue might be of interest.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- York Chiller Mobile App
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- DCIM For Facility Management
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month