WHITE PAPER – Leadership Development: Coaching And Developing Others
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
In the words of American business icon Jack Welch, “when you were made a leader you weren’t given a crown, you were given the responsibility to bring out the best in others.” So how best to do this? A new white paper from the Institute of Real Estate Management provides some top-line answers.
Titled simply Leadership Development: Coaching and Developing Others, the publication is the seventh in a series of IREM® white papers that focuses on various leadership related competencies critical to real estate management and general business success. It lays out some of the most valuable techniques to help others develop their skills and also addresses common mistakes leaders make – e.g. focusing on poor performers at the expense of the good ones – that undermine their efforts.
Among other important take aways, readers will be introduced to six steps to coach for development, steps that will yield these outcomes:
- Support employee engagement and job satisfaction, reducing turnover.
- Enhance performance and improve productivity.
- Build a more-effective, cohesive, and trusting team
- Give themselves more time to do strategic, leadership-oriented work because their team will be productive and engaged.
- Understand the fundamental difference between managing and coaching.
- Enhance their reputation as leaders.
The white paper is free for IREM members and $5.99 for non-members. The six-page PDF can be downloaded here.