Classrooms have a larger influence over prospective students’ enrollment decisions than university provided amenities such as dining and fitness facilities, according to a new study commissioned by Steelcase Education Solutions. While campus admissions materials emphasize new athletic facilities and elaborate dining halls, this study shows that these are not the most important campus assets to prospects:
- More than half (51%) of students say classrooms are the most important campus environment that influenced their decision to attend their current school. Less than a quarter of those surveyed said dining facilities (24%) or athletic facilities (23%).
- This research also shows that only 32% of students say they are engaged in class half the time however, active discussions keep them more engaged and focused.
- Active discussions and group work not only keep students engaged but 72% of students say it impacts their ability to learn and helps them feel like part of a community.
There have been numerous reports on the large investments made by institutions in recent years on luxury amenities in an effort to attract prospective students. However, while college life is largely a social experience, learning is also something that needs to facilitate social interactions. This study shows that it is the potential of in-the-classroom engagement with peers and faculty that is most important to students during the college search process. “While these findings may surprise some, students spend most of their time at school in the classroom, so providing flexible and inspiring learning environments is an investment worth making,” said Mark Walters, Director of Product Management of Steelcase Education Solutions. The survey was commissioned by Steelcase Education Solutions and conducted by Widmeyer Communications in February 2014. It was a national online survey of 600 U.S. college students at both four-year and two-year institutions.
For more stories on universities facilities, click this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management