New Study Shows Classroom Design Contributes To College Enrollment Decisions
Classrooms have a larger influence over prospective students’ enrollment decisions than university provided amenities such as dining and fitness facilities, according to a new study commissioned by Steelcase Education Solutions. While campus admissions materials emphasize new athletic facilities and elaborate dining halls, this study shows that these are not the most important campus assets to prospects:
- More than half (51%) of students say classrooms are the most important campus environment that influenced their decision to attend their current school. Less than a quarter of those surveyed said dining facilities (24%) or athletic facilities (23%).
- This research also shows that only 32% of students say they are engaged in class half the time however, active discussions keep them more engaged and focused.
- Active discussions and group work not only keep students engaged but 72% of students say it impacts their ability to learn and helps them feel like part of a community.
There have been numerous reports on the large investments made by institutions in recent years on luxury amenities in an effort to attract prospective students. However, while college life is largely a social experience, learning is also something that needs to facilitate social interactions. This study shows that it is the potential of in-the-classroom engagement with peers and faculty that is most important to students during the college search process. “While these findings may surprise some, students spend most of their time at school in the classroom, so providing flexible and inspiring learning environments is an investment worth making,” said Mark Walters, Director of Product Management of Steelcase Education Solutions. The survey was commissioned by Steelcase Education Solutions and conducted by Widmeyer Communications in February 2014. It was a national online survey of 600 U.S. college students at both four-year and two-year institutions.
For more stories on universities facilities, click this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.