Tricks Of The Trade: Transitioning To Facility Management
By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the March 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I have been in the construction industry for over 15 years and have worked the last eight years as a construction site superintendent. Over the years, I have worked with many facility managers, and I am thinking that a career change to facility management may be in my near future. I have an associate degree in Construction Management and a bachelor’s degree in Applied Management. I think that this, coupled with my construction experience, would be a good background for a move into facility management. What advice would you have regarding how to begin the transition?
Name withheld upon request
Construction Site Superintendent
A Good choice! You have a good start for getting into facility management. However, you will find this world to be very different politically, financially, and routinely. You’ll need to ensure you’re thickening up your skin right now and learning how to tap into an organization’s mission and willing to go in deep to support it. I made the switch from construction to facility management 25 years ago and would never go back. I love it!
The number one skill set/behavioral attribute you will need to master is “Servant Leadership,” meaning there is nothing that you’re not willing to do that you ask your staff to do. You’ll find that your department actually sets a tempo by which the entire institution will notice and follow. So it is a very important and big job.
You may find my answer to a similar question interesting. Find it here.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices