By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the March 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I have been in the construction industry for over 15 years and have worked the last eight years as a construction site superintendent. Over the years, I have worked with many facility managers, and I am thinking that a career change to facility management may be in my near future. I have an associate degree in Construction Management and a bachelor’s degree in Applied Management. I think that this, coupled with my construction experience, would be a good background for a move into facility management. What advice would you have regarding how to begin the transition?
Name withheld upon request
Construction Site Superintendent
A Good choice! You have a good start for getting into facility management. However, you will find this world to be very different politically, financially, and routinely. You’ll need to ensure you’re thickening up your skin right now and learning how to tap into an organization’s mission and willing to go in deep to support it. I made the switch from construction to facility management 25 years ago and would never go back. I love it!
The number one skill set/behavioral attribute you will need to master is “Servant Leadership,” meaning there is nothing that you’re not willing to do that you ask your staff to do. You’ll find that your department actually sets a tempo by which the entire institution will notice and follow. So it is a very important and big job.
You may find my answer to a similar question interesting. Find it here.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention