With summer just around the corner, many workers are thinking of summer vacations spent enjoying friends and family. However, a new Robert Half survey shows 39% of workers won’t use all the paid vacation time they’re given. The reasons: 38% are saving days in case they need them later, while 30% fear falling behind at work. The national study was developed by Robert Half and conducted by an independent research firm. It is based on 436 telephone interviews with U.S. adults working in an office environment. Workers were asked: “Do you typically use all of the paid vacation days you are provided by your company?” Their responses: Workers who answered “no” were asked: “What is the primary reason you don’t use all of your vacation time?” Their responses: “Whether you’re a vacation ‘saver’ or ‘spender,’ it’s important to have balance,” noted Paul McDonald, senior executive director of Robert Half. “All work and no play doesn’t just lead to burnout — it also erodes creativity, since stepping out of your routine frequently sparks innovation,” he said. “Fresh perspective is useful in just about any profession.” McDonald added that managers should lead by example when it comes to saying “bon voyage” to the office. “Supervisors should encourage their teams to take a break and recharge, especially their top performers, who are often the most aggressive vacation savers and most susceptible to burnout. The best way to do this is by taking time off yourself,” he said.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event