What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities? Have you been impacted by this week’s weather events?
According to FEMA, only two in five Americans say that they have a plan for what to do in an emergency. Through its Ready.gov program, FEMA has launched America’s PrepareAthon!, a campaign to increase emergency preparedness and resilience through participation in hazard-specific drills, group discussions, and exercises conducted at the national level every fall and spring.
The campaign focuses on two National Days of Action, and the first took place yesterday, April 30, 2014, and focused on preparing for wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. More than five million people registered for the event. A second day of action will be held on September 30, with a focus on earthquakes, hazardous materials, pandemic flu, and winter weather.
FEMA is leading the effort, leveraging the resources of the Ready Campaign and the experience of members of the National Preparedness Community. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) is one of the supporters and contributors to the campaign.
As with yesterday’s event, participants on September 30 should commit to taking at least one specific step toward being prepared for a potential hazard. These can include planning a preparedness exercise for your facilities, or participating in discussion forums online with other community members.
Customizable promotional materials as well as participation guides are available here. This includes information for individuals, families, workplaces, K-12 schools, higher education, houses of worship, and community-based organizations.
So what kinds of extreme weather are you facing? What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities?
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades