What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities? Have you been impacted by this week’s weather events?
According to FEMA, only two in five Americans say that they have a plan for what to do in an emergency. Through its Ready.gov program, FEMA has launched America’s PrepareAthon!, a campaign to increase emergency preparedness and resilience through participation in hazard-specific drills, group discussions, and exercises conducted at the national level every fall and spring.
The campaign focuses on two National Days of Action, and the first took place yesterday, April 30, 2014, and focused on preparing for wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. More than five million people registered for the event. A second day of action will be held on September 30, with a focus on earthquakes, hazardous materials, pandemic flu, and winter weather.
FEMA is leading the effort, leveraging the resources of the Ready Campaign and the experience of members of the National Preparedness Community. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) is one of the supporters and contributors to the campaign.
As with yesterday’s event, participants on September 30 should commit to taking at least one specific step toward being prepared for a potential hazard. These can include planning a preparedness exercise for your facilities, or participating in discussion forums online with other community members.
Customizable promotional materials as well as participation guides are available here. This includes information for individuals, families, workplaces, K-12 schools, higher education, houses of worship, and community-based organizations.
So what kinds of extreme weather are you facing? What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities?
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?