What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities? Have you been impacted by this week’s weather events?
According to FEMA, only two in five Americans say that they have a plan for what to do in an emergency. Through its Ready.gov program, FEMA has launched America’s PrepareAthon!, a campaign to increase emergency preparedness and resilience through participation in hazard-specific drills, group discussions, and exercises conducted at the national level every fall and spring.
The campaign focuses on two National Days of Action, and the first took place yesterday, April 30, 2014, and focused on preparing for wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. More than five million people registered for the event. A second day of action will be held on September 30, with a focus on earthquakes, hazardous materials, pandemic flu, and winter weather.
FEMA is leading the effort, leveraging the resources of the Ready Campaign and the experience of members of the National Preparedness Community. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) is one of the supporters and contributors to the campaign.
As with yesterday’s event, participants on September 30 should commit to taking at least one specific step toward being prepared for a potential hazard. These can include planning a preparedness exercise for your facilities, or participating in discussion forums online with other community members.
Customizable promotional materials as well as participation guides are available here. This includes information for individuals, families, workplaces, K-12 schools, higher education, houses of worship, and community-based organizations.
So what kinds of extreme weather are you facing? What plans and equipment have you put in place to protect your facilities?
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Site Security: Background Checks
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs