President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
President Barack Obama has proclaimed May 2014 as National Building Safety Month, declaring it a “time to celebrate the dedicated professionals who keep our buildings secure, and we recommit to maintaining resilient, energy-efficient infrastructure.” The president also says in the proclamation, “Joining with building officials, design professionals, scientists, and engineers, we continually develop new guidance and tools for increasing disaster-resistance and meeting building standards. …From our homes to our high-rises, our museums to our malls, let us work to keep structures sound and up to code.”
“We are very proud and honored that Building Safety Month has once again been recognized by the president,” said International Code Council Board President Stephen D. Jones, CBO. “Recognizing building officials and design professionals for their commitment to public safety raises the profile of building safety professionals everywhere and helps us realize our goal of creating safe, sustainable, resilient and more affordable communities.”
“Addressing resiliency in the built environment and urging all Americans to learn more about how they can contribute to building safety at home and in their communities is what Building Safety Month is all about,” said ICC CEO Dominic Sims, CBO. “We thank all the ICC Members who hold public safety events during Building Safety Month and recognize the generosity of our sponsors who make building safety a priority.”
Presenting sponsors for 2014 Building Safety Month are the American Gas Association, American Wood Council, LiUNA, and the Portland Cement Association. Major Building Safety Month sponsors are the National Association of Home Builders, the National Multifamily Housing Council, and Simpson Strong-Tie.
Supporting sponsors are 84 Lumber, AIA, ASTM International, EIMA, Lubrizol, the National Institute of Building Sciences, and NEMA. Contributor sponsors are the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals, the Illuminating Engineering Society, Pentair, and UPONOR.
The following recognize resilience as a key issue before the building industry and have committed their support of Building Safety Month: the American Builders and Contractors, the American Society for Interior Design, the International Interior Design Association and the National Society of Professional Engineers.
Friends of Building Safety Month are FEMA, FLASH, the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, the International Accreditation Service, the ICC Evaluation Service and the U.S. Green Building Council.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ