Posted by Heidi Schwartz
President Barack Obama has proclaimed May 2014 as National Building Safety Month, declaring it a “time to celebrate the dedicated professionals who keep our buildings secure, and we recommit to maintaining resilient, energy-efficient infrastructure.” The president also says in the proclamation, “Joining with building officials, design professionals, scientists, and engineers, we continually develop new guidance and tools for increasing disaster-resistance and meeting building standards. …From our homes to our high-rises, our museums to our malls, let us work to keep structures sound and up to code.”
“We are very proud and honored that Building Safety Month has once again been recognized by the president,” said International Code Council Board President Stephen D. Jones, CBO. “Recognizing building officials and design professionals for their commitment to public safety raises the profile of building safety professionals everywhere and helps us realize our goal of creating safe, sustainable, resilient and more affordable communities.”
“Addressing resiliency in the built environment and urging all Americans to learn more about how they can contribute to building safety at home and in their communities is what Building Safety Month is all about,” said ICC CEO Dominic Sims, CBO. “We thank all the ICC Members who hold public safety events during Building Safety Month and recognize the generosity of our sponsors who make building safety a priority.”
Presenting sponsors for 2014 Building Safety Month are the American Gas Association, American Wood Council, LiUNA, and the Portland Cement Association. Major Building Safety Month sponsors are the National Association of Home Builders, the National Multifamily Housing Council, and Simpson Strong-Tie.
Supporting sponsors are 84 Lumber, AIA, ASTM International, EIMA, Lubrizol, the National Institute of Building Sciences, and NEMA. Contributor sponsors are the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals, the Illuminating Engineering Society, Pentair, and UPONOR.
The following recognize resilience as a key issue before the building industry and have committed their support of Building Safety Month: the American Builders and Contractors, the American Society for Interior Design, the International Interior Design Association and the National Society of Professional Engineers.
Friends of Building Safety Month are FEMA, FLASH, the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, the International Accreditation Service, the ICC Evaluation Service and the U.S. Green Building Council.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention