Posted by Heidi Schwartz
For companies facing a retirement wave of facility management (FM) professionals, a serious talent gap is taking shape. The demand for these types of jobs far exceeds supply, leaving FM self-providers at risk for escalating costs of recruiting talent, onboarding, and training.
In a recent survey of more than 200 employees and students, JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle) found that the millennial workforce is the key to closing the industry’s growing talent gap – offering the fresh perspectives and innovative ideas that the facilities management industry demands.
The FM workforce demographic is in a mature state—one that is heading towards retirement. In fact, the average age of FM professionals is 49, compared to the general working population average of 43. This talent gap is putting companies, especially those who self-provide their FM functions, at risk of escalating costs including: talent recruiting, onboarding, and training.
The answer to closing this gap is recruiting the new wave of talent that’s entering the workforce. By the end of 2014, millennials are expected to make up 47% of the workforce. This generation, however, is often times unaware of career opportunities in the FM industry.
For more information about the age gap in facilities management, check out this guide.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management