JLL Issues New Report: Millennials In Facilities Management
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
For companies facing a retirement wave of facility management (FM) professionals, a serious talent gap is taking shape. The demand for these types of jobs far exceeds supply, leaving FM self-providers at risk for escalating costs of recruiting talent, onboarding, and training.
In a recent survey of more than 200 employees and students, JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle) found that the millennial workforce is the key to closing the industry’s growing talent gap – offering the fresh perspectives and innovative ideas that the facilities management industry demands.
The FM workforce demographic is in a mature state—one that is heading towards retirement. In fact, the average age of FM professionals is 49, compared to the general working population average of 43. This talent gap is putting companies, especially those who self-provide their FM functions, at risk of escalating costs including: talent recruiting, onboarding, and training.
The answer to closing this gap is recruiting the new wave of talent that’s entering the workforce. By the end of 2014, millennials are expected to make up 47% of the workforce. This generation, however, is often times unaware of career opportunities in the FM industry.
For more information about the age gap in facilities management, check out this guide.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.