Posted by Heidi Schwartz
For companies facing a retirement wave of facility management (FM) professionals, a serious talent gap is taking shape. The demand for these types of jobs far exceeds supply, leaving FM self-providers at risk for escalating costs of recruiting talent, onboarding, and training.
In a recent survey of more than 200 employees and students, JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle) found that the millennial workforce is the key to closing the industry’s growing talent gap – offering the fresh perspectives and innovative ideas that the facilities management industry demands.
The FM workforce demographic is in a mature state—one that is heading towards retirement. In fact, the average age of FM professionals is 49, compared to the general working population average of 43. This talent gap is putting companies, especially those who self-provide their FM functions, at risk of escalating costs including: talent recruiting, onboarding, and training.
The answer to closing this gap is recruiting the new wave of talent that’s entering the workforce. By the end of 2014, millennials are expected to make up 47% of the workforce. This generation, however, is often times unaware of career opportunities in the FM industry.
For more information about the age gap in facilities management, check out this guide.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Cyber Security In Real Estate