Posted by Heidi Schwartz
According to the Q2 Randstad Office & Administrative Confidence Index, employee confidence rose for the second consecutive quarter to 54.0 in the second quarter of 2014. The survey, which measures overall confidence among U.S. office and administrative professionals, was conducted online among 394 workers in this sector by Harris Poll on behalf of Randstad. The report found increasing confidence among workers in the strength of the economy and in the number of available jobs.
According to the survey, nearly three-in-10 (28%) office and administrative workers believe the economy is strengthening, versus 22% in the first quarter of 2014. Also, seven-in-10 (70%) employees are confident in their job security, while a little more than one-third (35%) say they are likely to look for a new job in the next 12 months.
As the economy improves and the job market expands, many office and administrative professionals may be seeking jobs with more responsibilities, or roles that extend beyond a traditional support function. In fact, a report recently released by the American Society of Administrative Professionals (ASAP) named today’s office and administrative professional a “new breed of middle manager.”
The report describes a rapid shift from assistant to managerial roles among these workers. For example, in 2008 only 7% of attendees at ASAP’s Administrative Professionals Conference held non-traditional administrative job titles — most were assistants. But in 2013, more than 22% of APC attendees held titles like manager and project coordinator.
“We have witnessed in our own business an evolution of administrative and clerical roles, stemming from a growing use of technology and the need for more productive and multi-skilled staff,” said Traci Fiatte, Group President of Randstad Staffing. “Our clients are increasingly requesting candidates who have some level of management ability, including project management and employee supervision. This is evident across all industries we serve.”
Confidence in Job Availability Improves Again this Quarter
- Nearly one-quarter (24%) of office and administrative workers believe more jobs are available in the marketplace, an increase of four percentage points from 20% in Q1 and up from 17% in Q4 2013.
Job Security Levels Remain Strong Among Workers
- Seven-in-10 (70%) office and administrative workers are confident in their job security in the second quarter of 2014, declining slightly by two percentage points from the previous quarter.
More than One-Third of Workers Likely to Seek New Employment
- More than a third (35%) of office and administrative workers are likely to look for a new job in the next year, declining slightly by two percentage points from the previous quarter.
Office & Administrative Workers are More Confident in Their Ability to Find New Jobs
- Nearly four-in-10 (38%) office and administrative workers say they are confident in their ability to find new jobs, increasing one percentage point from the first quarter of 2014.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Randstad from April 7-9, May 8-12 and June 4-6, 2014 among 3,352 adults ages 18 and older of which 394 are employed in office and administrative positions.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention