Do Workplace Wellness Initiatives Go Far Enough?
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
Good news: America’s workers, by a 2 to 1 margin, believe their employer “cares about my health.”
Bad news: These employees often lack resources that can actually improve their health, such as weight management programs, exercise classes, company-run health/
wellness programs, on-site fitness equipment, health coaches, or healthy food options.
This paradox is revealed in an online survey conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of Provant, a leading national population health management company.
Workers were asked, “Which of the following, if any, does your workplace provide/allow to support employees’ health/healthy habits? Please select all that apply.” None of these options broke the 25% threshold:
Workers were also asked how strongly they agreed or disagreed with the statement, “I feel like my employer cares about my health.” Sixty-six (66) percent chose the answer “somewhat agree” or “strongly agree.”
“Employees who are healthy are more engaged and more productive,” said Provant CEO Heather Provino. “When companies provide workplace wellness programs, workers see that their employers care about them. An additional benefit is that we find employers who link their wellness programs with their business strategies are more successful in achieving their organizational goals.”
“Removing barriers to health and wellness creates a dual bottom line for employees and employers,” said Provant Health Coach Candice Fioravanti, M.S. “Together, they enjoy lower costs, enhanced productivity, higher morale, more effective talent recruitment, and a strong corporate brand. The closer you look, the bigger the return on employers’ wellness investments.”
The Provant survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll between April 24 and 28, 2014, among 2,130 adults aged 18 and older, of whom 923 are employed full/part time. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ