By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the July/August 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I recently became the facility manager for my company, and I’m not sure where to begin. Is there a great guide to get me and my organization up to speed quickly?
Applied Genomics Technology
San Jose, CA
AIf I were in your situation, I would as quickly as possible find out everything that is expected of your facility management organization. While networking with your peers and leadership, you need to write a paragraph on everything that is expected of you. Include a quality statement for each item such as responsiveness, end result, and follow-through.
If you network with a full cross section of your peers and leadership, you should have no less than a couple dozen paragraphs. This will give you a good start in identifying what is expected of you. In facility management, managing expectations and perceptions is of the utmost importance because you work in a fishbowl.
I would then strongly advise you join a facility management association: APPA for education; IFMA for general commercial; BOMA for high-rise management; ASHE for healthcare; etc. Attend one of the conferences as soon as possible. Attending at the national/international level is a good place to start; then drill down to local chapters. But if the wait for a national conference is too long, find a local meeting.
I have written a few times about this topic in this column, so you may want to read my past advice to other readers. You can browse this column online at http://facilityexecutive.com/magazine/columnists/tricks-of-the-trade/.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention