By B. Kevin Folsom, CEP
Published in the July/August 2014 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I recently became the facility manager for my company, and I’m not sure where to begin. Is there a great guide to get me and my organization up to speed quickly?
Applied Genomics Technology
San Jose, CA
AIf I were in your situation, I would as quickly as possible find out everything that is expected of your facility management organization. While networking with your peers and leadership, you need to write a paragraph on everything that is expected of you. Include a quality statement for each item such as responsiveness, end result, and follow-through.
If you network with a full cross section of your peers and leadership, you should have no less than a couple dozen paragraphs. This will give you a good start in identifying what is expected of you. In facility management, managing expectations and perceptions is of the utmost importance because you work in a fishbowl.
I would then strongly advise you join a facility management association: APPA for education; IFMA for general commercial; BOMA for high-rise management; ASHE for healthcare; etc. Attend one of the conferences as soon as possible. Attending at the national/international level is a good place to start; then drill down to local chapters. But if the wait for a national conference is too long, find a local meeting.
I have written a few times about this topic in this column, so you may want to read my past advice to other readers. You can browse this column online at http://facilityexecutive.com/magazine/columnists/tricks-of-the-trade/.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms