Posted by Heidi Schwartz
This recall involves 33 models of the 400 and 500 series Edwards (ESL)-branded and Interlogix smoke detectors hard-wired into a security system. Edwards and Interlogix smoke detectors are identical. The two-wire or four-wire detectors are round, white, and measure 6″ across by 2″ high. The smoke detectors were made for professional installation and used primarily in commercial buildings, schools, hotels/motels, apartments, and dormitories as part of the fire alarm and safety system.
Recalled units have date codes 13084 through 14059 with the first two digits representing the year, for example: 13 for 2013 and 14 for 2014; and the last three digits representing the day of the year, for example: 084 is the 84th day of 2013, which is March 25, 2013. The initials ESL, the date code, and one of the following model numbers are printed on a label on the back of the detector’s cover and on the product’s packaging.
400 series: 429AT, 429C, 429CAD, 429CRT, 429CST, 429CT, 429CTAD, 449AT, 449C, 449CRT, 449CSRH, 449CSRT, 449CST, 449CSTE, 449CT and 449CTE.
500 Series: 511C, 518C, 521B, 521BXT, 521B-10PKDMP, 521B-10PKG, 521BXT-10PKG, 521BXT-DMP-10PKG, 528B, 528CRXT, 541C, 541C-10PKG, 541CXT, 541CXT-10PK and 548C.
Customers should immediately contact their security or fire system provider to determine if any of their units are included in the recall. If so, they will receive free replacement and free installation of new smoke detectors. Consumers should not take the alarms out of service until the replacement alarm has been installed. Only professional installers should remove and replace these units.
Approximately 141,000 units in the U.S. are being recalled.
The units were sold by alarm system, security equipment and electrical equipment contractors, dealers, and installers for use in fire alarm systems from March 2013 to February 2014. The cost of the individual detectors varies between $30 and $50. The cost of the integrated alarm or security systems varies greatly.
Facility managers can contact Edwards at (800) 655-4497 select option 5, from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.edwardsfiresafety.com and click on “Contact Us.” They can contact Interlogix toll-free at (855) 286-8889 select option 2, from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or online at www.interlogix.com and click on “Customer Service” for more information.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management