Posted by Heidi Schwartz
The recall involves Amana, Century, Comfort-Aire, Goodman, and York International-branded Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps. The units are rated 230/208 volt, 3.5 kW, and are most often installed in walls of hotels, motels, apartment buildings, and commercial spaces to provide room climate control.
The devices are being recalled because the power cords on the air conditioning and heating units can overheat, posing burn and fire hazards. Goodman has received four reports of power cords smoking or catching on fire. No injuries have been reported.
The recalled units are beige with serial numbers ranging from 0701009633 through 0804272329. The brand name is located on the unit’s front cover. The serial number is located on the control board plate found by lifting the unit’s front cover. Approximately 233,500 units are being recalled.
For Amana, Goodman, and York International-branded units call (800) 366-0339 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. For Comfort-Aire and Century-branded units call toll-free at (877) 442-4482 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. For all products, go to www.amana-ptac.com and click on Recall Info at the bottom right corner of the page for more information.
Consumers should immediately stop using and unplug the air conditioning and heating units and call the appropriate number listed above or go to www.amana-ptac.com to request a free replacement power cord. Commercial owners are being contacted directly and will receive free installation of the power cord and inspection of the control board. If the control board has been damaged by the recalled power cord, Goodman will provide a new control board for commercial owners to install.
The units were sold by Goodman and heating and cooling equipment dealers nationwide from January 2007 through June 2008 for between $700 and $1,000.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- York Chiller Mobile App