Posted by Heidi Schwartz
If you won the lottery, would you keep working? While some may dream of hitting it big and leaving their office behind them, a new study from CareerBuilder suggests that’s not the case for everyone. Half (51%) of workers reported that, even if they didn’t need a job financially, they would still work after winning the lottery. Thirty percent of all workers say they would keep their current job.
Money Isn’t Everything
The study revealed that working isn’t always about the paycheck. The most common reasons workers would stay employed after winning the lottery included:
- I would be bored if I didn’t work – 77%
- Work gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment – 76%
- I want financial security aside from the financial winnings – 42%
- I would miss co-workers – 23%
A Good Last Impression?
While many workers find reasons to continue working after a great financial windfall, nearly half (49%) say they’d take the opportunity to leave the workforce. When asked how they would quit their jobs, the most common responses included:
- Give two weeks’ notice or give my employer more time if they needed it to find a replacement – 48%
- Give two weeks’ notice and leave after two weeks – 31%
- Resign that day without giving notice – 13%
- Tell off the boss and air all grievances – 3%
- Not show up to work the next morning without formally quitting – 2%
Living the Dream
While nearly a third (30%) of employees would stay in their current job after winning the lottery, that’s not to say it’s their dream job. Only 15% of workers report they are currently working in their dream job, and another 36% say that while they’re not quite there yet, they believe they will be someday.
Related articles across the web
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention