Friday Funny: Would You Quit If You Hit The Jackpot?
Posted by Heidi Schwartz
If you won the lottery, would you keep working? While some may dream of hitting it big and leaving their office behind them, a new study from CareerBuilder suggests that’s not the case for everyone. Half (51%) of workers reported that, even if they didn’t need a job financially, they would still work after winning the lottery. Thirty percent of all workers say they would keep their current job.
Money Isn’t Everything
The study revealed that working isn’t always about the paycheck. The most common reasons workers would stay employed after winning the lottery included:
- I would be bored if I didn’t work – 77%
- Work gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment – 76%
- I want financial security aside from the financial winnings – 42%
- I would miss co-workers – 23%
A Good Last Impression?
While many workers find reasons to continue working after a great financial windfall, nearly half (49%) say they’d take the opportunity to leave the workforce. When asked how they would quit their jobs, the most common responses included:
- Give two weeks’ notice or give my employer more time if they needed it to find a replacement – 48%
- Give two weeks’ notice and leave after two weeks – 31%
- Resign that day without giving notice – 13%
- Tell off the boss and air all grievances – 3%
- Not show up to work the next morning without formally quitting – 2%
Living the Dream
While nearly a third (30%) of employees would stay in their current job after winning the lottery, that’s not to say it’s their dream job. Only 15% of workers report they are currently working in their dream job, and another 36% say that while they’re not quite there yet, they believe they will be someday.
Related articles across the web
You might like:
- New Service Spotlight: Attune Energy Dashboard by E-Mon
- From Where I Sit: RIP Dilbert
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- WEIRD WEDNESDAY: Lost In Space
- FM Issue: Managing Security Services
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions