Deferred maintenance issues plague facility managers and building owners, bubbling under the surface for weeks, months, years, until the backlog of repairs is so steep, it seems an insurmountable mountain. These repair and maintenance needs do not pop up overnight; they may have been purposely put on a backburner due to shrinking budgets, other projects taking priority, shortened timelines or a decrease in staff.
The cost of deferring a single repair may not seem large at the time, but as those minor costs compound, it grows to a substantial expense that can wreak havoc on a facility executive’s budget. One problem turns into multiple major problems, buildings and equipment become faulty, and facility managers and owners are faced with serious fiscal and tangible consequences.
To break the cycle of deferred projects and backlog buildup, facility executives have four options that can help them tackle the growing list of needs at many stages along the construction process.
- Accurate Planning
Stop the backlog before it starts with a better way to estimate and plan for your upcoming maintenance and repair needs. Reliable construction cost data from RSMeans from The Gordian Group helps facility owners stay ahead of maintenance and repair work by anticipating the estimated costs associated with them. Owners can avoid playing maintenance catch-up by relying on up-to-date construction cost estimating information to validate budgets and plan ahead using timely and thorough data.
- Preventive Maintenance Measures
Repair needs don’t just go away with time. In fact, neglected repairs can lead to worsening conditions. Identifying and scheduling preventive maintenance for equipment can extend the expected operational life, which, in turn, makes for a better investment. Periodic maintenance is essential to make sure buildings and equipment continue to run smoothly and without interruption. Planning ahead helps to minimize those unexpected failures that ravage facility executive’s budgets.
- Streamlined Repairs
Nimble construction procurement processes can cut through the red tape associated with the traditional design-bid-build methods to get work started without delays. Gordian’s Job Order Contracting Solutions® satisfy competitive bidding requirements, puts in place contractors that can begin work immediately, and helps facility managers control their budgets through a set of customized, pre-priced construction tasks.
- Future Preparation
Prioritizing deferred repair and maintenance needs can be a difficult and time-consuming process. Once the backlog is chipped away and a plan is in place to prevent future needs, facility managers will find they can move through their pre-planned construction schedules with greater ease and fiscal management. Life Cycle Costing enables facility executives to maintain a clear understanding of the capital, operating and maintenance costs for their buildings and equipment for years – even decades – into the future, helping to plan and allocate funding ahead of time.
From accurate estimating to rapid procurement and predictive future planning with Life Cycle Costing, The Gordian Group has solutions that will reduce strain on budgets and staff, and prevent or chip away at the growing list of maintenance needs. Visit The Gordian Group online to view an infographic on the vicious cycle of deferred maintenance and learn more about how our solutions tackle your planning and maintenance demands.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades