A new publication, the Summary Report on the Benefits of Bonded Polyurethane Carpet Cushion in the Workplace, released by the Alliance for Flexible Polyurethane Foam (AFPF), offers research and facts about performance-boosting cushion for commercial carpet. The findings show that bonded polyurethane carpet cushion can preserve the new carpet’s appearance and durability, prolonging its lifetime and saving on replacement costs.
The guide explains and demonstrates the benefits of properly specified and installed bonded polyurethane cushion for high-traffic commercial applications and demonstrates the value of the cushion in a series of “real-world” case studies. It also includes abstracts of full research papers, case studies, general information and other resources.
Essential performance testing and other topics include:
• High performance in the Phillips Chair Test—the heavy rolling of chairs on casters is one of the harshest tests faced by carpet and cushion.
• Appearance retention—demonstrating cushion’s value in keeping carpet looking beautiful, tested by Independent Textile Testing in Dalton, Georgia
• Better maintenance— Professional Testing Laboratory Inc. in Dalton, Georgia has shown that cushion makes vacuuming much more efficient and effective.
• Acoustics—bonded polyurethane cushion adds sound absorption and can cut noise by half in a study by Intertek Testing Services (ITS).
• Sustainability—with a typical recycle content of around 90%, commercial bonded polyurethane carpet cushion is a green product that specifiers may be able to use to obtain credit with several environmental rating systems or programs, including LEED.
• Proper installation—critically important guidelines for installing carpet and cushion via the double-glue method
Copies of the report may be downloaded at no charge.