This recall involves System Sensor i4 series combination carbon monoxide/smoke detector models COSMO-2W and COSMO-4W manufactured between 9/3/14 and 9/13/14. These devices have the potential for delayed or no response to elevated Carbon Monoxide levels. System Sensor will replace affected units free of charge as part of this voluntary recall which is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
The detectors are round, white, and measure about 5.5 inches in diameter. Recalled units have date codes 4091 or 4092 printed on the lower left-hand corner of the label affixed to the back of the product and on the packaging.
To determine if a unit is included in the recall, consumers should take the following steps, recommended by System Sensor:
The first step is to determine if you have an affected unit. There are two ways: call System Sensor at (800) 736-7672, option 1 for Customer Service and someone will assist you. Or you can follow the steps below.
1. Contact your alarm service provider, before inspecting your detector. This product is typically installed professionally for use with a security/fire alarm system. Removal of the detector will trigger a warning indicator to your alarm service provider. Your action: Contact your alarm service provider and notify them you are “removing the detector to inspect the date code due to the voluntary recall.” Proceed to step 2.
2. Check the detector label to determine if your detector is affected by this recall.
- Check the label located on the back side of the detector. Remove the detector from the mounting base by pressing the locking tab and turning counterclockwise.
- Verify the detector is manufactured by System Sensor and is model COSMO-2W or COSMO-4W. No other detector models are affected by the recall.
- Check whether the four-digit date code is 4091 or 4092. d) If the detector is not a COSMO-2W or COSMO-4W with four digit date code of 4091 or 4092, no replacement is necessary. Re-install the detector.
- If the detector is not a COSMO-2W or COSMO-4W with four digit date code of 4091 or 4092, no replacement is necessary. Re-install the detector.
- If the detector date code is 4091 or 4092, an immediate detector replacement is necessary. First, temporarily re-install the detector until replacement detector(s) arrive and are professionally installed and tested with the system.
3. If the detector date code is 4091 or 4092, your CO/smoke detector is included in this recall and should be replaced immediately. System Sensor will ship a replacement detector at no charge. Customers should keep using the installed CO/smoke detector until a replacement unit is installed.
The recalled units were sold by security equipment dealers nationwide during September 2014 for about $75. Approximately 1,450 units have been sold.
For more information, call System Sensor at (800) 736-7672 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or go online to www.systemsensor.com and click on “Product Safety Notice.”