Missing a few golf balls? A fishing pole? A door hinge?
You might want to check your dog’s belly.
When a 1-year old Doberman pincher started acting strangely, his owners brought him to the Lisbon Veterinary Clinic in Lisbon, OH. Emergency gastrotomy surgery revealed the dog had swallowed 26 golf balls. His unusual appetite resulted in the clinic winning the annual “They Ate What?!” X-ray contest, conducted by Veterinary Practice News (VPN) and sponsored by Trupanion pet insurance of Seattle.
“Foreign body ingestions are among the most common high-dollar claims we cover,” said Steve Weinrauch, BVMS, MRCVS, Trupanion’s chief veterinary officer.
“It’s our second most common claim for dogs and third most common for cats. Even my own family member, my dog Bug, had a foreign body surgery (a corn cob). No family is immune. That said, 26 golf balls takes it to another level and wins first prize. I’m glad that his tail is still wagging and hope never to see him at the top of the ‘winners’ list again!”
Other winning contestants include:
- A 10-week old Labrador that consumed the end of a fishing pole (second place)
- A 6-month old Labrador that ingested a door hinge (third place)
Visit the contest website to view more photos and watch the video. While you’re there, vote for your favorite “They Ate What?” x-ray in the 2015 People’s Choice X-Ray Contest and you’ll automatically be entered to win a $500 VISA gift card.