Everybody knows how handy duct tape can be. It’s credited with everything from banishing bugs, to removing pet hair, wrapping cords, patching holes, sealing cracks, and removing warts. And, for the past 17 years, it’s also been used to create prom outfits by creative high school students looking to stand out from the crowd and win their share of $50,000 in scholarships.
This year’s high school dreamers, makers, and designers demonstrated true creativity and ingenuity this prom season, taking their artistic skills to the next level by fashioning stunning Duck Tape® prom attire in the 2017 Duck® brand Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest. These imaginative and inventive students chose from hundreds of Duck Tape colors, designs, and crafting tapes to create one-of-a-kind formalwear and accessories.
The contest’s top 10 couples and top 5 single entrants have just been announced, selected by a panel of judges based equally on workmanship, originality, use of colors, accessories, and use of Duck Tape® in the outfits. Now it’s up to the public (that includes you) to vote for their favorites!
The Top 10 couples are (in no particular order):
- Megan-Marie Lemieux and Brandon McNeil of Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada
- Emily Rogara and Ethan Weber of Lincoln, NE
- Olivia Otts and McKinnon Ryall of Fairhope, AL
- Mallory Swinney and Noah Kominczak of Tunel Hill, GA
- Lauren Nelson and Ira Warlick of Arlington, WA
- Lauren Gardner and Ruben Taylor of Hurricane, UT
- Rozlin Opolka and Conner Hawry of Gregory, MI
- Mary Ann Ebiefung and Mollie Ramos of Hixson, TN
- Simin Li and Anna Barth of Rockville, MD
- Jamie Ryu and Jennifer Peshansky of River Vale, NJ
The Top 5 singles entries are:
- Allison Pollman of Elgin, OK
- Samantha Nelson of Arlington, WA
- Sierra Rich of Sherwood, OR
- Emily Turner of Berkley, MI
- Mackenzie Cochran of El Paso, TX
“This year, entrants were inspired by a diverse range of ideas and themes which are reflected in their unique use of colors and prints throughout their designs,” said Ashley Luke, category manager, at ShurTech Brands, LLC, the company that markets the Duck brand. “It’s certainly going to be a close race!”
Through July 5, 2017, voters can view the entire 2017 Stuck at Prom® gallery to select their favorites. Polls are open until midnight EST on July 5. Then, check back on July 12 to see who has been crowned as the 2017 Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest winners.
Since 2001, Duck has awarded nearly half a million dollars in scholarships to high school students who fashion amazing promwear creations with Duck Tape. This year, the Grand Prize winners will each receive a $10,000 scholarship, the second-place students will each receive $5,000, and third place winners will each receive $3,000. The remaining seven “runner up” couples will each receive a $1,000 prize. The Singles Category winner will receive a $1,000 prize.
Take a closer look at this year’s finalists, and go vote for your favorite prom creations now!