MGM Resorts International has earned Four Green Globes certifications (the highest level) for 26 retrofit building projects at various MGM Resorts’ Las Vegas properties. The Green Building Initiative (GBI), the body that administers the Green Globes program, announced that with these certifications, more than 45 million square feet of hotels, casinos, convention centers, and resort campus spaces were retrofit to save energy and water, improve the indoor environment for guests and staff, reduce emissions and resource waste, and employ environmental management methods.
“This recognition from GBI is a great honor for MGM Resorts International,” said Cindy Ortega, the company’s senior vice president and chief sustainability officer. “Achieving Green Globes certifications are the result of MGM’s efforts to build and maintain the most sustainable facilities possible. Designing and operating green buildings are a key part of our environmental sustainability strategy.”
MGM Resorts International properties that received Four Green Globes include:
- the Bellagio Hotel, Casino and Convention Center;
- the Delano Las Vegas Hotel;
- the Mandalay Hotel, Casino, Convention Center and The Shoppes at Mandalay Place;
- the Excalibur Hotel and Casino;
- the Luxor Hotel, Casino and Tower;
- the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, MGM Garden Arena, MGM Grand Convention Center, the Mansion at MGM Grand, and the MGM Grand Campus;
- the Mirage Hotel and Casino, Convention Center and Villas; and
- New York New York Hotel and Casino, Podium and Convention Center.
“GBI’s goal is to increase the adoption of green building best practices, and we are pleased that MGM Resorts International chose Green Globes to certify its properties,” GBI President Vicki Worden said. “The Four Green Globes certification is the highest assessment given by GBI; it documents MGM Resorts International’s leadership and commitment to environmental efficiency practices.”
Green Globes is based on a 1,000 point system covering seven areas of green building best practices. A third-party certified Green Globes Assessor evaluates every building based on practices specific to each building. A Four Green Globes certification is awarded to buildings that have achieved compliance with 85% or more of Green Globes criteria.