The Visual Capacity Optimization Manager (VCOM) from Eaton is a new data center software platform that provides critical information for data center and IT managers to make better capacity optimization and risk mitigation decisions. It reduces data center complexities and lowers the total cost of ownership for critical infrastructure.
The VCOM platform gives operators at managed service providers (MSPs), enterprise data centers, colocation facilities, and small to medium-sized businesses the capability to reduce operational expenses, improve system and application reliability, and mitigate risk through data analysis.
“As data centers become more complex and add new equipment, operators experience significant challenges in the form of inefficiencies related to power, cooling, and space, inefficiencies that can multiply quickly and slow operations to a crawl,” said Hervé Tardy, vice president and general manager, Distributed Power Quality Division, Eaton. “With our new VCOM platform, we’re giving operators a powerful tool to manage their infrastructure from the application to the utility pole, lowering the total cost of ownership for critical infrastructure.”
The centralized VCOM platform gives operators a holistic view of their facilities to quickly make decisions related to power, cooling, and space. Using this intuitive remote monitoring and management data center software users gain the ability to track usage, utilization, capacity limits, and more, and to react quickly to address concerns with the infrastructure.
Key features of Eaton’s VCOM software platform include:
- Visualization: View 3D renderings and identify problem areas at all levels of the data center as well as across the enterprise (power, space, environment, IT networking, and virtualization)
- Asset management: Centralize a device data repository and utilize limitless attribute tracking to ease management of distributed locations while leveraging seamless integrations with third-party asset tracking systems like RF Code
- Custom reporting and dashboards: Examine multilevel reports, role-based dashboards, KPI tracking, trending, and predictive analytics
- Integrated rack building tool: Build each rack using a repository of more than 22,000 devices to deliver an accurate visual display of the data center
- Capacity planning: Utilize “What if?” scenarios to understand current usage and ensure capacity is available for upcoming projects
- Environmental monitoring: Create real-time thermal imaging profiles of the environment using temperature, humidity, leak detection, door closure, air pressure data, security cameras, and security systems.
- Physical and virtual machine (VM) monitoring: View connections, dependencies, and applications from an array of IT assets, including physical servers, VM hosts, VM guests, switches, and rack PDUs
- Change/workflow management: Reduce time to deployment and increase accuracy of implementation with fully integrated and native capability to generate projects, tasks, and work orders or seamlessly integrate into third-party workflow systems.
- Multitenancy: Support more than one customer or user type by presenting separate and distinct data that pertains solely to each tenant
The Visual Capacity Optimization Manager data center software platform joins Eaton’s Intelligent Power Manager™ and Visual Power Manager in the company’s growing portfolio of software solutions to help companies lower costs, reduce risk, and protect their data center infrastructure investments.