StormwateRx LLC, a provider of industrial stormwater treatment and filtration systems, has announced the availability of the Zinc-B-Gone® line of stormwater filters for the removal of dissolved zinc and copper to strict stormwater benchmark and numeric action levels. Stormwater runoff — particularly from galvanized roofing, galvanized HVAC equipment, and roofs onto which process emissions are vented — is a significant source of toxic zinc and copper pollution flowing into rivers, lakes, and other waterways.
Zinc-B-Gone is available in two configurations: Zinc-B-Gone Basic for attachment to downspouts and Zinc-B-Gone Pro for monitored installations and large or combined downspouts with more complex water chemistry.
In addition to federal Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) benchmarks, many other states have enacted strict water quality standards for the amount of allowable zinc and copper in stormwater runoff, with mandatory corrective actions for industrial facilities that consistently discharge concentrations over the standards.
Conventional zinc-coated steel roofs release between 1.0 to 3.0 mg/L (1,000 to 3,000 ug/L) of zinc in stormwater runoff — 10 to 30 times typical benchmark values. Zinc-B-Gone is guaranteed to reduce zinc concentrations as high as these to below the EPA benchmark for approved roof runoff applications, meeting federal and state requirements. For larger, more complex industrial applications, Zinc-B-Gone Pro meets the strictest requirements, removing up to 99.9% of zinc, 99.7% of copper and a multitude of other pollutants.
The Zinc-B-Gone Basic systems provide do-it-yourself installation for most downspout applications. The systems require no power, use no chemicals, and have no moving parts. Each unit uses a layered, advanced media configuration developed by StormwateRx specifically for adsorption of dissolved zinc, copper, and other heavy metals. Typical media life is three to five years.
The Zinc-B-Gone filters are available with a debris screen and cover for easy and clean operation. The system uses the same patented, hydraulic flow control process used in the StormwateRx Aquip enhanced filtration systems.
Unlike other zinc filtration products that use compost, biochar, or organic materials, Zinc-B-Gone does not discharge nutrients with the exiting, filtered stormwater, and it maintains high hydraulic throughput over time. Higher hydraulic throughput means more water can be treated in a smaller footprint at an overall lower cost. The systems are guaranteed to outlast and outperform any other commercially available rooftop zinc filtration product. The Zinc-B-Gone systems include:
- Fits small 3”x4” rectangular or round downspouts
- Compact design: L 46″, W 26″, H 42″; 950 lbs.
- Rated at 15 gpm clean
- Treats up to 400,000 gallons
- Can reduce zinc levels from 2-5 mg/L to benchmark or numeric action levels
- Ideal for applications with suspended solids concentrations less than 10 mg/L
- Greater than 10 lb dissolved zinc capacity
- Lockable lid
- Reversible: inlet/outlet can be on the right or left
- For complex stormwater applications
- Rated at 25 gpm to 600 gpm clean
- Third-party verified removal: 99.9% zinc, 99.7% copper
- Separate pretreatment and filtration chambers for reduced maintenance
- Optimized flow distribution
- Internal, high-flow bypass
- Cover, freeze protection and other options available
- Forkliftable, rebuildable